Aarhus World Championships
Thursday, August 8
Schedule: Day 8 and the first day of medal races at the Hempel Sailing World Championships Aarhus 2018. The medals for three of the 12 fleets will be decided today; the Finn, the men’s 470 and women’s 470.
Finn: Max Salminen, Sweden, leads by eight points. If he finishes fourth or better they are guaranteed gold (and defend the Finn Gold Cup he won in 2017)
Men’s 470: Anton Dahlberg and Frederik Bergström, Sweden, lead by six point. If they finish third or better they are guaranteed gold.
Women’s 470: Ai Kondo Yoshida and Miho Yoshioka, Japan, lead by five points. If they finish third or better they are guaranteed gold.
All 12 fleets will race today.
- Finn (Medal race, 5-minute warning signal 14:07 local time)
- Men’s 470 (Medal race, 5-minute warning signal 14:47 local time)
- Women’s 470 (Medal race, 5-minute warning signal 15:27 local time)
- Laser (Medal race qualification decided today)
- Laser Radial (Medal race qualification decided today)
Tom Burton’s chances of gold in the Laser look to have evaporated after the race jury upheld the protest against him by Pavlos Kontides in race 9, the only race possible yesterday. Australia’s Burton, the Rio 2016 gold medallist, had been in third place overall, just five points behind the leader, Kontides. The Laser have their last race today to settle the medal race fleet.
There should be a building south-easterly sea breeze today, with 5-10 knots. The temperatures will not so high today, so the sea breeze will only be light and it will start to turn east under the influence of the cold front that is developing in Germany and moving to Denmark.
Another low-pressure system coming from the west coast of Jutland (northern Denmark), will bring winds gusting up to 35 knots on Friday morning and 50 knots by 14:00.
Temperature: 20-22 ℃
Sea temperature: 21 ℃
Day 8 Live
Day 7 Highlights
How to Follow:
- Results will be available when race commences here - https://aarhus2018.sailing.org/results.
- Videos from the Hempel Sailing World Championships are available here - https://aarhus2018.sailing.org/watch
- Click here to subscribe for live notifications.
- Sailing will be shown live on World Sailing’s YouTube and Facebook Channels from 2-12 August.
SAP SAILING ANALYTICS
- Live tracking, sailor analytics, live weather data and racing status will be available here.
- Follow the event on World Sailing's social networks and get involved in the conversation using #Aarhus2018.
- Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/worldsailingofficial/
- Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/worldsailingofficial/ / https://www.instagram.com/aarhus2018/
- Twitter - @worldsailing / @aarhus2018
- All World Sailing international press releases throughout the duration of the World Championships, including the latest news and reports, are available to read here - https://aarhus2018.sailing.org/news
- Click here to sign up to receive all of the latest alerts and announcements from the Worlds.
ABOUT THE HEMPEL SAILING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS AARHUS 2018
Held every four years, the Sailing World Championships is one of the biggest global sailing events in the world and the principal qualification event for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Sailing Competition.
Hempel Sailing World Championships Aarhus Denmark 2018 will include all 10 Olympic boat classes. Kiteboarding will be added to the programme for the first time. The ambition is to make the championships in Aarhus a unique and spectacular event, where sailing is made more popular and accessible than ever before.
The Championships will be held from 30 July to 12 August 2018 and 1,400 sailors from up to 85 nations will race in up to 1,000 boats.
Held simultaneously with the Sailing World Championships in Aarhus, a large festival will provide opportunities visiting families to get out on the water. The event expects to draw 400,000 visitors to Aarhus.