Aarhus World Championships
Friday, August 10
Schedule: Day 9 and the second day of medal races at the Hempel Sailing World Championships Aarhus 2018. The medals for two of the 12 fleets will be decided today; the Laser and Laser Radial.
- Laser (Medal race, 5-minute warning signal 14:07 local time)
- Laser Radial (Medal race, 5-minute warning signal 14:47 local time)
Laser: Pavlos Kontides, Cyprus, leads Australia’s Matthew Wearn by just four points in what promises to be a classic match racing medal race. Great Britain’s Elliot Hansen (19 points behind the leader) looks set for a similar battle for bronze with Germany’s Philipp Buhl (4 points behind).
Laser Radial: Beligum’s Emma Plasschaert leads by 11 points. If she finishes sixth or better in the 10-boat field gold will be hers. That would normally make her the overwhelming favourite, but the woman 11 behind is the Netherland’s Marit Bouwmeester, who won gold at the Rio 2016 Olympics and the 2011 World Championships in Perth and 2014 World Championships in Santander. The fight for bronze will be tight with Denmark’s Anne-Marie Rindom in third, but just six points separating four boats.
The low-pressure system has moved towards Norway. But strong winds in the morning and early afternoon could alter the schedule.
WSW wind today, starting at 20-22 knots, gusting up to 30. The courses closer to shore will see more like 15 knots, but still with big gusts. The strength will slowly drop during the day so that by 16:00 it is more like 15-20 knots
Temperature: 17-20 ℃
Sea temperature: 21 ℃
The medal races for the Finn, women’s 470 and men’s 470 were run yesterday.
Day 8 Highlights
How to Follow:
- Results will be available when race commences here - https://aarhus2018.sailing.org/results.
- Videos from the Hempel Sailing World Championships are available here - https://aarhus2018.sailing.org/watch
- Click here to subscribe for live notifications.
- Sailing will be shown live on World Sailing’s YouTube and Facebook Channels from 2-12 August.
SAP SAILING ANALYTICS
- Live tracking, sailor analytics, live weather data and racing status will be available here.
- Follow the event on World Sailing's social networks and get involved in the conversation using #Aarhus2018.
- Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/worldsailingofficial/
- Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/worldsailingofficial/ / https://www.instagram.com/aarhus2018/
- Twitter - @worldsailing / @aarhus2018
- All World Sailing international press releases throughout the duration of the World Championships, including the latest news and reports, are available to read here - https://aarhus2018.sailing.org/news
- Click here to sign up to receive all of the latest alerts and announcements from the Worlds.
ABOUT THE HEMPEL SAILING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS AARHUS 2018
Held every four years, the Sailing World Championships is one of the biggest global sailing events in the world and the principal qualification event for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Sailing Competition.
Hempel Sailing World Championships Aarhus Denmark 2018 will include all 10 Olympic boat classes. Kiteboarding will be added to the programme for the first time. The ambition is to make the championships in Aarhus a unique and spectacular event, where sailing is made more popular and accessible than ever before.
The Championships will be held from 30 July to 12 August 2018 and 1,400 sailors from up to 85 nations will race in up to 1,000 boats.
Held simultaneously with the Sailing World Championships in Aarhus, a large festival will provide opportunities visiting families to get out on the water. The event expects to draw 400,000 visitors to Aarhus.